Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Welcomed Return to a Familiar Welcome

“Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.” – Alfred de Musset

As some of my loyal readers know, in March of last year I got married.  It was a wonderful event that my wife and I will never forget.  Over 100 of our closest friends and family were in attendance, with some of our inner most circle joining us at the altar as members of the wedding party. 

One of my groomsmen, Chris Volpe, and I have a very unique friendship.  Over the course of our six year relationship journey, there have been only three occasions where we have not smoked a cigar together.  As we often tell people, our entire friendship has been dominated by one constant: the welcoming smoke from a premium cigar.

Chris and I spent many hours at Pop's Safari (the cigar lounge which I now work part-time) during our tenure at TCU.  It's the place where I introduced him to his first La Flor Dominicana, where he told me that we was going to ask his wife, Diana, to marry him, and finally where I asked him to be a groomsman in my wedding.


From left: Diana, Chris, Me, & my wife, Kris
 For the first time in a number of months, my wife and I accompanied Chris and his wife for a night of dinner, live music, beer, and, or course, cigars. 

All of us have that friend or group of friends where it doesn't matter how long you are apart, when you come together, it's like no time has passed at all. 

After dinner, I lit up one of Quesada's newest releases, the Espana.  Chris went with a Cusano 18.  We listened to some awesome live music and caught up on our comings and goings. 

Friendship is one of life's greatest blessings.  Cherish your friends and, in my opinion, cherish them with a great cigar.  Remember guys and gals, there is nothing wrong with knowing you are the best.

Regards,
Bear
Me with my Quesada Espana and Chris with his Cusano 18






No comments:

Post a Comment