Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday."- The Impressive Clergyman, The Princess Bride

Marriage.  A much debated institution.  For centuries there have been discussions, theories, jokes, observations, and selected commentary on one of civilization's most ancient traditions. 

I hate to disappoint some of you, but this entry will not be poking fun of or a proverbial bashing of the joining together of man and wife.  On the contrary, let's look at this as it was originally intended a blessing and celebration of two people joining their lives and families.  I have been married six months, my parents just celebrated 42 years together.

In fact, I'm really not going to tackle the body of marriage as a whole, but rather the beginning.  The wedding.  Weddings are a billion dollar industry.  Between venues to photos to cake, every year Americans spend on average $30,000 which, on average, winds up being a 20 minute ceremony and a 4 hour reception.

Some may say that's ridiculous, some say it's unbelievable, and some would say, "Yeah, that sounds about right."

I told you this wasn't going to be a cynical observation and it won't be.  For those of you that know me, I can be a hopeless romantic and so this entry will be on celebration.

And why not?

Cigars, fine wines, premium liquor, and beer have been the mark of celebration for centuries as well. 

This may actually surprise most of you, but I actually did not smoke at my wedding.  Before?  Of course.  During honeymoon?  Most Def.  However, I did not take a single puff at my wedding reception.  In fact, I don't smoke at many weddings, at least during the course of traditional events.  I prefer to to take part in the traditional events: toasts, cake cutting, dances, etc.  Who wants to miss that?

This past weekend, I was present at the union of James McCombs and Katie Evans.  They are a beautiful couple that I wish nothing but happiness and joy for the rest of their lives.  Many of my cigar comrades were in attendance.  And while many of them were as excited as I was to toast our friends' marriage with a good smoke, they didn't want to miss any of the festivities either. 

"I don't think I'm going to be able to smoke tonight, bro," one friend commented.  "I just don't want to, it would take me away from the wedding too long."

Truly a man of honor.  You see, my friend was not only thinking in the best interests of James, but was giving me respect by saying subconsciously that he didn't want to rush a good smoke and the amount of time it would take to enjoy it.

I took my cue from him, opting to enjoy the celebration on other merits.  I got to enjoy a dance with my wife, a beer with the father of the groom and savor some damn nice cake. 

However, afterwards I invited some friends back to my home, where we toasted with some champagne and lit some great smokes. 

Good times.  Good fellowship.  Great cigars.  A motto worthy of any post-celebratory gathering. 

So, take your time, celebrate, and enjoy the moments as they present themselves.  To my friends, James and Katie, congratulations and may your joined lives be blessed and joyous.

To the rest of you, take note 4 out of 5 dentists recommend that there is nothing wrong with knowing you are the best!

Regards,

Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment