Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back to the Classics: A review of the Arturo Fuente Spanish Lonsdale

I am extremely excited about an opportunity presented to me in the past few months. As of direct result of this blog, Cigarsdirect.com has generously brought me on board to sample and review some products on their behalf.


I encourage you to check out their site and help yourself to some awesome deals that they have.

Arturo Fuente is a name that is synonymous with the word cigar. The industry has flourished with the Fuente family producing some of the most sought after cigars in the world. Arturo’s son and grandson (Carlos and Carlos, Jr.) have advanced the craft of cigar making to levels that have inspired creations such as the Hemingway, King B, and, of course, Opus X.

Today, we take a gander at the Spanish Lonsdale Natural. A classic in the Fuente’s family arsenal for some time, it is a fine example of a classic cigar.

Let’s take a look at what appears to be an example of flawless construction. No veins or toothiness to this Connecticut shade wrapper, the pleasant pre-light bouquet is earmarked with dominant cedar and earthy notes. The faint subtle sweetness on the pre-light draw awakened some taste buds that clinched the desire to light the cigar. I cut the tip with my guillotine cutter and sat down to enjoy this smoke with my good friend, Gus.

For a classic like this one, I chose a classic lighting method: matches. While my lighting job was less than desirable, the impeccable construction came through and the burn was remarkably even from beginning to end.

The first third of this cigar was just as consistent as advertised. I’ve smoked Fuentes for years now and admit to have had the Spanish Lonsdale only a few times. In fact, I’ve usually reached for the maduro variety instead. However, this smoke is equally great in flavor, thus far.

The second half is filled with delicious, earthy flavor. The smoke is plentiful and creamy. Gus has taken a few puffs when I am not looking and is equally pleased. The fellows at Cigarsdirect.com have given me a premo smoke to enjoy. I forgot to mention that this lonsdale is a tad thicker gaged than most I tend to smoke. At 6.5 inches and with a 42 gage, it allows the burn to remain even and the smoke to stay cool.

The construction has held up to its intial overview and remains impeccable all the way to the nub.

I have selected a Sam Adams Oktoberfest brew to accompany this stogie as my drink. The robust flavor of the beer, only amplifies the mild, mellow creaminess of this Fuente.

I tend to enjoy more complex smokes a tad more than traditional smokes such as this, but does not disappoint.

The finish does not linger to long, but nonetheless is an enjoyable feel. I’d reach for these as an everyday smoke, or something to enjoy after a Sunday brunch.

My Ratings:
Appearance - 10
Pre-light taste- 7
Construction - 10
Draw - 9
Burn - 10
Aroma - 8
Flavor - 7
Balance - 9
Finish- 7

Total Rating: 8.6

Check out cigarsdirect.com and get yourselves some great smokes and remember guys and gals, there is nothing wrong with knowing you’re the best!

Regards,
Bear

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the sponsor. I checked out cigarsdirect and was impressed with the lineup.

    I enjoyed the addition of your drink 'pairing'. It is always good to know the place, people, or drinks you enjoyed while partaking. Whether it was a celebratory smoke, a rushed experience, or planned event. I feel like ambiance affects the enjoyment of the cigar dramatically.

    Cheers,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete